
Here's where we all post a song that inspires us.
I'll start with this artist I discovered about a year ago named Lhasa De Sela. I got inspired and wrote a song after I saw this video. Such a beautiful song to me and has such a great atmosphere with really interesting production. Plus her voice is so unique and full of feeling, and the video is great too.
Con toda palabra
I´m going to cheat...sort of:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-YICwcQPk&feature=related
Don't know how to make that link look all fancy like Tollak's. But anyway, this is the b-side of Abbey Road and I think this is an amazing piece of songwriting. It makes me want to write a piece like that, which to this day, hasn't quite worked out for me yet. But to string together so many different song and make it sound like one piece...pure brilliance to me.
Also, I wanted to show you this:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfkAkMExDrQ
It's the song that got me into music, which made me go: 'ah I want learn and play guitar and write songs and all that.'
Before that album (Oasis - Heathen Chemistry, and the older albums Oasis made which I discovered after this one) I wasn't interested in music and I listened to Green Day, The Offspring, Housemusic, stuff like that. So there you go; thanks to Oasis I picked up the guitar
haha..bij mij is het omgekeerd. Ik was heel erg fan van oasis tot 2000 en speelde al hun liedjes. en rond die tijd heb ik de gitaar juist weer opgepakt door energieke muziek van Green Day, Offspring etc.
ReplyDeleteGerben
Yeah Sebastiaan, that is just pure genius from Abbey road, and don't worry about not being able to pull it off yourself yet, not many ever have, and you have plenty of time to keep trying. Keep the faith. Didn't know that Oasis one, great stuff.
ReplyDeletei really love this one
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPny4frBuVM
few words, 3 chords. gives me da shivers!
This is a song by the late Elliott Smith called. It's called 'Between the Bars' and to me it's one of those songs that sounds like it was really honest. I've loved since the first time I heard it.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37k_Ri1XxEc
This one is a well known one. It's The Beatles' 'A Day in the Life'. This song -the Lennon bits in particular- has a haunting quality to me.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiFYOn1AFms
Now this is one of those songs I used to listen to when I was a teenager. I'm slightly embarrassed that I still like it because I've totally outgrown this band and the bands in its genre. Still, I can't help feeling emoted whenever I hear it. Maybe you'll like it too.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-aiwdKNW60
Ok, last one for now. This is one of the first songs that managed to stir up some feelings in me. Its Radiohead's 'Bulletproof... I wish I was'. Its absolutely gorgeous, and its on the album 'The Bends', which is incidentally the album that turned me on to music about ten years ago.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtvjy3EiVCM
Every time I hear this song I want to try to write something like is.
ReplyDeleteIf you look at the lyrics, it's very short, but the song is not that short at all, he repeats a part of the lyrics as well.
And well, it's just a beautiful song!!
It's of course not by Jamie Cullum originally, but it's this versoin I love...
Hhhm... youtube didn't work at school, but here's the link anyway, hope it works...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIwzrlD9SI
Great stuff everyone, and yeah cool Zippora that you can be inspired from a song written probably over 50 years ago. It's great when a newer artist can open your eyes to something like that. Lots of incredible music from those days,and why not try and write something like that?
ReplyDeleteThis doesn't have so much to do with songwriting, but this is just insane. I'm sure you all know Bobby McFerrin, of course from don't worrie be happy.
ReplyDeleteBut what he's doeing here is crazy!!
Hhm, youtube doesn't copy the link, so here the name of the video I was talking about...
Bobby McFerrin - Concert Solo
Have fun!
No words... just watch this :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPCYboEpmk
Yeah Zippora, Bobby McFerrin is a genius at what he does, there are quite a few great clips of him on Youtube. I love this one too, an old song from the play- the Sound of music.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqplKtzWpI&feature=related
And the other clip is very nice too!
This is another Elliott Smith song. It was on the Good Will Hunting Soundtrack. this song's lyrics and structure are really interesting to me. and the chorus line "Do you miss me miss misery like you say you do?" gets me every time. I know its a different topic but I've attached the lyrics because... Well because I can really...
ReplyDeleteElliott Smith - Miss Misery
I'll fake it through the day
With some help from Johnny Walker Red
Send the poison brain down the drain
To put bad thoughts in my head
Your two tickets torn in half
And a lot of nothing to do
Do you miss me, Miss Misery
Like you say you do?
A man in the park
Read the lines in my hand
Told me I'm strong
Hardly ever wrong I said man you mean
You had plans for both of us
That involved a trip out of town
To a place I've seen in a magazine
That you left lying around
I don't have you with me
But I keep a good attitude
Do you miss me, Miss Misery
Like you say you do?
I know you'd rather see me gone
Than to see me the way that I am
But I am in the life anyway
Next door the TV's flashing
Blue frames on the wall
It's a comedy of errors, you see
It's about taking a fall
To vanish into oblivion
Is easy to do
And I try to be but you know me
I come back when you want me to
Do you miss me, Miss Misery
Like you say you do?
Haha nice, that sound of music song. He sounds a bit like panpipes sometimes...
ReplyDeletelike we sang at Vlieland, only this slightly (longer) different version of Jason Mraz;
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub6aTxoMd6o&feature=player_embedded#
sing along, having a party and.. just having fun i guess :) Great to see that Jason Mraz was inspired by this song. Although i believe he didn't really turn it into his OWN song...he actually sang the exact same notes and riddles as Lionell Ritchie did. That's a pity.
But it was still a party to listen to and aswell in that audience i think :)
I'm not sure if I've posted this one before. When I first saw this video, I was just frozen and I think my mouth was open the whole time...
ReplyDeleteYeah, anyway, this is great! And I think very inspiring!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPCYboEpmk&feature=related
hey Zippora... I did see this before, but I don't remember who I heard about it from. I don't see it here on the blog...?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, yes really nice stuff... thanks!